With this statement signatory, non-governmental organizations would like to express our strong negative attitude towards the initiative of two members of the Advisory Board of the Adjara Public Broadcaster on the impeachment of Natia Kapanadze, Director of Adjara TV and Radio.
Under Natia Kapanadze’s management, the Adjara TV and Radio has been evaluated by a number of international and local reputable organizations as a free, impartial and progressing institution, operating in an extremely polarized and politicized media environment.
At the moment it is essential to perceive the negative impact that the director’s potential impeachment may have on country’s democratic development and media freedom record. We hope that other members of the Advisory Board will demonstrate pragmatic approach favoring TV channel’s editorial independence.
We are watching carefully the developments at Adjara Television and Radio and it is our sincere hope that the discussions will be public and the society will be given an opportunity to engage in the process.
- Georgian Young Lawyers’ Association GYLA
- Georgian Media Club
- Georgian Charter of Journalistic Ethics
- Institute for Development of Freedom of Information IDFI
- Open Society Foundation
- Alliance of Regional Broadcasters
- European Initiative Liberal Academy Tbilisi
- Georgian regional media association
- Television Network
- Small and Medium Telecom Operators Association of Georgia
- Georgian Democracy Initiative (GDI)
- Transparency International Georgia TI
- International Society for Fair Elections and Democracy