On December 9, 5:00 pm, as part of Human Rights Week the Georgia Fair Labor Platform will host a live event introducing the Platform’s goals and two innovative online tools for workers:
The Wage Theft Calculator and Workplace Safety Monitor.
The Wage Theft Calculator was created to address the issue of wage theft in Georgia – the failure to pay money legally owed to employees. The practice is widespread in Georgia, but not well understood by many workers. Some examples of wage theft include unpaid overtime work, unpaid off-the-clock work, illegal salary deductions, unpaid tips, and unpaid final salaries.
The Calculator is designed to help workers understand whether they have been a victim of wage theft and calculate the approximate amount that may have been stolen from their wages.
The second online tool is the Workplace Safety Monitor, an online database that compiles inspection reports drafted by Georgia’s Labor Inspectorate, a government body that monitors workplace safety. The database includes inspection reports dating back to September 2019, allowing workers and others to track the safety record of employers.
The event will also cover the severe challenges that workers are facing during the COVID-19 pandemic in Georgia.
- Maina Kiai, director of Human Rights Watch’s Alliances and Partnerships initiative and the first UN Special Rapporteur on the rights to freedom of peaceful assembly and of association (2011-2017);
- Keti Khutsishvili, Executive Director of the Open Society Georgia Foundation (OSGF);
- Sopho Japaridze, Solidarity Network;
- Jeff Vize, Human Rights Watch;
- Giorgi Tsintsadze, Human Rights Education and Monitoring Centre (EMC)
About the Platform:
The Georgia Fair Labor Platform is a newly established informal alliance of independent trade unions, civil society organizations and activists working for social justice and fair labor conditions in Georgia.
The Platform’s member organizations are:
- Open Society Georgia Foundation (OSGF)
- Human Rights Watch
- Tbilisi Metro Independent Trade Union – “Ertoba 2013”
- Healthcare and Services Trade Union – “Solidarity Network”
- Social Workers’ Union
- Human Rights Education and Monitoring Centre (EMC)
- Georgia Young Lawyers’ Association (GYLA)
The event will be live-streamed online in Georgian with English interpretation. For requesting a zoom link please contact Eto Gvritishvili, the Platform Coordinator via e-mail at:
You can also check the Event and RSVP on the Platform’s Facebook page.